Monday, June 6, 2011

Does neutering a dog change his personality?

I just got my 5 year old dachshund neutered, he's laying around cuz he's in pain. I know that's normal... but how long will he be like this?

It's no fun. When I went to pick him up from the vet he was happy and wagging his tail in excitement, but that didn't last long.

My mother in law got her male dog neutered a few months ago. He's just a puppy, so he didn't really have the time to develop a personality. My dog is 5! I don't want his personality to go away!! His personality is why I love him so much!

I'm happy I got him neutered, it's much better for his health. I just don't want his personality to change. I'm scared he's gonna be all depressed and stuff for the rest of his life now that he doesn't have his balls anymore. lol

Will his personality change now that he's neutered?

Stories from personal experience would be great!Does neutering a dog change his personality?
It is best to get them neutered young, but as long as they are in good enough health to endure surgery, it is never too late. His personality will not change unless he was dominant or marked frequently as he may stop having the desire to do these things.



Thank you for neutering!



Best wishes!Does neutering a dog change his personality?
No it does not all of my dogs have been neutered except for my puppy because he is to young ( but he will be )...



Neutering does not change a dogs personality, it enhances the dogs temperament and health....Altered dogs are healthier.
He will be ok soon, i would be a little peed off if someone took my balls away, his personality shouldnt change and he is just feeling sorry for himself. hes probably still sore and a little grumpy, so dont worry.
His personality isn't going to change, he's just not feeling up to par and will be like this for about 2 days or so. You will see he will perk back up once he's not as sore and starts eating and gets back to his routine.
Hi,

he will be okay, you just need to give him time. it's like if we get a tooth out it's really sore and we just can't Be bothered but after a few days/weeks everything's ok.

hope i helped :)
No, He will be fine. It just calms them down. If a dog is aggressive and you get him neutered then it calms him down a lot. Just give him time to heal.
when you neuter him his personality will not change
his personality might change a little
Of course he will return to normal!!! He is missing his balls right now.. Give him time to grieve
yes, and i makes them fatter :)

my bestfriend has one.. and he got huge!
When you picked him up from the vet he would have been very happy to see you AND likely still painfree. Once the painkillers/anaesthetic wore off, he wouldn't be feeling too crash hot. His personality will stay the same, he's just not feeling 100%. Depending on how long ago the surgery was, he could be feeling the after effects of the anaesthetic too.

If he's still looking miserable after 3 or 4 days head on back to the vets but I wouldn't be worried. He won't even know they're gone. As important as it might seem to us, as humans, dogs don't give a damn :).

Kudos to you for neutering, BTW!

No comments:

Post a Comment