Monday, June 6, 2011

Will spaying my dog change her personality?

I have a 1 yr old chow/lab mix and have an appt to have her spayed friday. But I don't want spaying her to change he personality. Everybody says it won't but I think it will. When I got my other b*tch spayed, shes a chow/husky mix and was 6 months when I had her done. After I got her done she got alot more agressive. I know its weird but she did. I didn't do anything differnt to her either. When I got my cat spayed it made her wild. She barely ever comes around anymore. All my neutered cats do is sleep. Roscos still playful but all Henry does is sleep all the time and has got fat. So my question is When you altered your dog did it change there personality? I don't want my dogs personality changed. I like her how she is. So I don't know what to do know. Oh yeah, and to top it off she was in heat about a week or two ago and my dad let her out the basement and I think she was bred. So now I have to have her an abortion. And I don't believe in abortions so this is hard for me. So now what?Will spaying my dog change her personality?
Spay/neuter does not normally change the personality of an animal, environment however will. Care for your pet after surgery give them assurance that all is well. It will always be hard for them to overcome any type of surgery but with love and affection after and reassurance that all is well in time they will be back to normal in no time.Will spaying my dog change her personality?
We got my baby spayed at 7 months and with her hyperactive personality we were relieved when she calmed down a little. But not by much, lol. But at one year she shouod be pretty stable. I don't think it'll change. And yes, make her have a doggy abortion. Irresponsible breeding (no offense) is why there are dogs in the pounds. So, even if you decide not to have her fixed, you'll have to be careful around any non-neutered dogs.
Some dogs get really stressed which can lead to aggression problems if they get spayed, but its not too frequent. If you don't want anything to happen, do something so she sticks to you. But it doesn't change the personality much- well it shouldn't.
I haven't noticed any (negative) personality changes as a result of spaying/neutering. If anything, it makes them more lovable. Any dog can become overweight and lazy (i've known many intact fat dogs and cats).
I have 4 dogs, 2 male and 2 female. I opted to get my boys fixed so I would have no oppsies. I will tell you that my male Shih tzu was my favorite from the get go. I had him nuetered and he is just as sweet as ever. He gained a little weight.. that is the only side effect I have seen.
I just noticed the dogs were calmer and more playful. Yes the dog needs more exercise if it starts to put on weight. As for your ***** possibly pregnant, when they spay her they will just remove what would have been a puppy if she is pregnant.

My cats were like kittens again, so i do believe it has something to do with how active they were prior. If your dog is great now, i really think she will be fine. The health issues outweigh the fact your worried she will change. Go get her fixed.
I was told that at 6 months the hormones are already developed and the personality will not change.



For whatever reasons, most cats do stop playing noticeably more than dogs do after maturity/1 year.



Spaying a dog helps prevent female cancers. Think of the millions of puppies and dogs being euthanized in shelters, that plus physical health is enough to convince me to spay and neuter.



I don't believe in abortion either, personally (though i don't preach it). But think of it this way: spaying her will give about 5 dogs in shelters a chance to finally have a home or at least not be euthanized to make room for more puppies.
There is documented evidence that a b***h which has aggressive tendencies may indeed become more aggressive after being spayed. Testosterone is the hormonal basis for aggression, and when the estrogen level is lowered (by spaying) testosterone plays a more dominant role in temperament. Spaying will not create aggression in an unaggressive girl. If this girl has an ';edge,'; you might be wise to leave her intact... if not, spaying ought to be fine. It is not impossible to keep an intact b***h and avoid an unplanned litter... crates, supervision, fences (with supervision), etc. ... it is a minor hassle a couple of times a year... not particularly fun, but one does what one has to do (I have had an intact male and female in my home for several years, and no puppies).



It is also possible that your other b***h's temperament shift had more to do with maturation than with hormones. She was a puppy still when spayed, and her increased aggression could be a result of her becoming a mature dog.



If this girl is fully mature with no aggressive tendencies and you do elect to have her spayed (probably what I would choose to do, if I was in your place), and if she was bred and became pregnant as a result, please understand that what she is carrying now are some miniscule bits of cellular matter that do not look like puppies, have no thoughts and no ability to sense pain or fear. There is nothing for you to feel badly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment