Monday, June 6, 2011

Is it possible to change your personality?

alright let me explain...my whole life ive been talkative and a pretty outgoing person,during highschool i changed but not because i wanted to,i was in an accident and couple of teeth were lost,i couldnt afford putting all of em at the same time so i was quiet most of the time or wouldnt speak,and about 5 months or so my teeth were fixed and i feel great about them but im lost,i dont know how to act like myself again,i feel like im not myself,part of me wants to break out and be spontaneous and part of me feels dead.i dont interact the same with people anymore,i feel like im dissecting my personality and choosing how i want to act instead of being myself,but i dont even know myself,after all that time,i have an idea of how i want to act and i play out situations in my head but i cant seen to go through with them and if i do i dont feel comfortable doing it%26gt;%26gt;well its more of advice i need well if you could help out itll be well appreciated.Is it possible to change your personality?
i dont know....but it is easier to fake it than to change itIs it possible to change your personality?
Yes, there is split-personality disorder! hah, I'm kidding..doesn't sound like you have that. Maybe you want to impress yourself in front of certain people?
You can't force yourself to change, you change over time or you act differently. Even though you're quiet now you're still your old self deep inside even though you don't act that way anymore. Sometimes it's hard to get old habits to die but over time you'll probably get talkative again!
Personality, like ego, is a concept invented by your mind. It doesn檛 exist in the real world. Personality is a word for the general impression that you give through your words and actions. If your personality isn檛 likeable today, don檛 worry. You can always change it, so long as you allow yourself to do so. What fixes someone檚 personality in one place is a determined effort on their part攗sually through continually telling themselves they檙e this or that kind of person and acting on what they say. If you don檛 like the way you are, make yourself different. You檙e the only person who檚 standing in your way.
It is always possible to change your personality,only if you are willing to do so...
My theory is people will treat you how you teach them to treat you. And personality is a snapshot of the sum of your daily interactions. Snapshot is the key term, because that means it can be changed.



As a child I was definitely extroverted and was a real socialitte. Then a became a loner in mid-primary school due to bullying.



From that point up until senior year in highschool I actually preferred to avoid all social interactions because of the stress and anxiety they often brought. My highschool personality as tested in year 13 was INTP.



My first year at university I was living in a hall of residence, I decided this was my opportunity to reinvent myself with a whole new group of people. I made a list of the traits of ';popular'; confident people that I wished to be like. I envied people who were so socially adept. Through constant conscious effort I forced myself to chat to people as if I was ';popular'; as if I was worth interacting with, as if I was ';fun'; and didn't give a damn about what people thought of me. Initially it was quite hard, but eventually it became more and more natural and I stopped fearing social situations and started enjoying them again. End of first year at uni my personality type had changed to ENTP (google the abbreviations for info about this well known personality test).



Basically to get something I didn't have I had to do something I hadn't been doing. At first this meant I had to force myself out of my comfort zone and pretend like I was acting the part of a confident person in a play instead of my own life. But eventually I actually became that person!!!
Yes. I used to be an ego maniac. A total jerk to people. I use to spontaneously hit others for looking at me wrong. Now, I'm a quiet calm relaxed individual that looks to avoid confrontations.

No comments:

Post a Comment