Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cat personality change?

My two cats have always gotten along. One is a boy and one is a girl. I took the girl to the vet two days ago to get spayed and she had to spend the night at the vet hospital. That night my boy cat cried and searched for her. The next morning I went and picked my cat up from the vet and since then, my boy cat has tried to attack her and has hissed at her multiple times. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm afraid he'll hurt her and I'd like to know how long this could last. ThanksCat personality change?
I actually just read this in one of my many cat help books. It stated that when a cat goes to the vet and stays overnight, it carries different smells home on it. Cats are territorial and depend greatly on scent to mark and know who's been around. If your girl cat carried all the vets animals scents home, the male cat could be acting aggressively because he's reacting to the smells to the other animals. Give it a couple of days as those scents wear off adn eveything will be back to normal.



When the girl cat rubs her face and coat on you, she's marking your scent on you. As she puts her smell back on the house, the male will recognize it and calm. I hope this helps you!Cat personality change?
iv never had it happen but iv heard about it before

the boy cat couldn't find her so he gave up and forgot her and over time, even though it was about one night he got use to the fact she was gone like she was gone forever

hope this helps
She just got back from the vet and probably smells weird to him. Just try to seperate them until she heals and regains her regular ';smell'; and you should be ok. It might take a couple days.
It's because of that ';Vet'; smell. Same thing happened with both my cats when i got them fixed. Don't worry, as soon as she smells normal again they will go back to being best friends.
This behavior is quite normal.

Unfortunately the veterinary professional who discharged the cat forgot to forwarn you of issues in a multiple cat household..



Cats have amazing senses and your girl still has some residual odors on her like alcohol.

Cats do not like it and it can stress them out.

I believe that is what your male is reacting to.



Keep them seperated for up to 3 days then see how it goes.

Sometimes a light scent from baby powder will help.



This will resolve!

No comments:

Post a Comment