Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Do you find yourself changing personality traits or gestures to match other peoples?

and its tiring, because you feel your losing yourself making these small adjustments around everyone?



its almost like a coping mechanism to make them relate to you more or make them feel more comfortable?



THEN after awhile you want to be yourself but you think theyll notice if you just changed how you were so you cant?





yes im depressed right now...Do you find yourself changing personality traits or gestures to match other peoples?
I do that all the time but I feel I have to to fit in. I thought I was the only one because no matter who the person is I am the one who has to change, never the other way around. I have friends that I grew up with that i can be myself around. I guess that is what is great about being a kid...you are just yourself! But on here I am myself...if the other person doesn't like it then they can move on but i find that i seem to be well liked so I may try to be myself more often in future...i said ';try'; so i am not making any promises! But yeah...it is like you read my thoughts exactly...and you made me feel a little better so thanks...hope I did the same for you!Do you find yourself changing personality traits or gestures to match other peoples?
yes, but without the depression
Sometimes I do. I act a bit hyper when I'm around a hyper friend a lot. I start coming up with sarcastic rants after watching too much House and Scrubs. Little stuff like that. I think everyone has a element of randomness to their personality. We're never completely the same from day to day. Most people know and accept this on some level. I doubt anyone would really notice these brief changes in personality.
Everybody does that to some extent. You match each others mannerisms as a way to develop rapport. It usually happens subconciously, but you are either very self-conscious or you try a bit too hard. So don't feel too depressed about it. If you feel like something feels unnatural, just don't do it. That's all.
Try keeping a journal so you can stay in touch with what you think and feel. They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Do you really want to be friends with people who do not accept you for who you are? Do not allow yourself to feel bad because other people don't have the social skills or the maturity to like you the way you are. They are the ones lacking.
It is a great skill for ';selling'; it is called ';mirroring';...I do it naturally as well...other people actually try to learn the skill. You are right it is very exhausting when you do it naturally. It served me well in real estate and property management..but during every day life...it is a bit daunting. It is actually a very valuable skill. You just have to learn how to harness it. I bet you would be awesome in sells...or marketing. I bet you read people very well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment