Saturday, November 20, 2010

If you spay a dog does it change her personality?

I have a 2.4lb Yorkie that's 7 months old. I know the benefits of Spaying, however being that she's so small anesthesia is a big worry of mine. She is in heat for the first time, I sore I would not get her fixed, nor would I breed her b/c of her size and the risks. However I am really not liking the idea of bleeding. I'm a neat freak and I feel my home is dirty. I thought of diapers and sanitary pads but how humane is that? I am really worried her personality will change i don't want to regret it I like her the way she is. Anyone who has experienced this? What should I do?If you spay a dog does it change her personality?
yes it does but only for the better. She won't do whatever it is dogs do when they are in heat. She will be more relaxed. There are no bad effects in spaying. If she should accidentally get out %26amp; get impregnated is a large risk of having mammary cancer - not too mention what would happen to her if she were to mate with a large dog. She is old enough to be spayed. Since she has already gone into heat I wouldn't waste any time in making an appt with your vet for spaying. Also, ask his receptionist if there are personality changes for the worse. I have always had my pets spayed/neutered %26amp; not one has had a personality change - %26amp; I'm talking 40 yrs of pets.If you spay a dog does it change her personality?
Dogs are not like humans and with a good vet she will be fine, she make become a little quieter but generally with females there isnt much change, with males they tend to be less aggressive and friendlier.
I believe that your dog will be a happier dog for being spayed especially since you are not going to be breeding her. It won't change her personality and you should both be happier. Regarding the anesthesia, go to a vet that has had a lot of experience spaying small breeds and discuss your fears beforehand. There is always a risk when anesthesia is used, but complications are very very rare.
Nope, I've never had any negative effects from spaying or neutering my pets. They are still the same pet that went in for surgery minus the ability to reproduce. They haven't gained weight or become lazy.



In fact, my mom didn't get her chow fixed because of anethesia risks and she ended up developing an infection in her uterous that almost killed her. Talk with you vet and make sure you do all the blood work to make sure she doesn't have an allergy. I've had my cats neutered and spayed when they were about that size. They were just be a little quiet this first day after surgery, but back to their kitten selves a day later.
Deciding to have your dog spayed or neutered should be for the dog's benefit, not yours.

I have two dogs, both have been fixed for the health benefit of the dog. It lowers the risk of many kinds of cancer.

Any concerns you have about getting your dog spayed you should discuss with your vet. He or she can address your specific concerns about the anesthesia.

As with a change in personality - In my experiences neither dog experienced any kind of change - They are just as loving after as they were before. My little girl is also just as hyper now as she ever was.
I have a female 2yr old Shep/mix, I had her spade after two litters of puppies.My dog is great,she still plays like a pup but it has made her listen more on the first command. Your dog is still a child in a manner of speaking, so you shouldn't have to worry. Your pal will grow up as normal. Take it from me it will be the best thing for you and your best-friend. TRUST ME, YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID. from one dog lover to another.
Hi! I can tell you somethings from first hand experience. I have a female Bichon Poo, almost 2 years old, and 12 pounds or so. We spayed her a few months ago. Her personality DID change.. she became more hyper, and a little more naughty I have to say. But nothing DRASTIC. She calmed down a bit, after her hormones calmed down. She's still just as great a dog as every. One piece of advice that I wish everyone takes is to GET YOUR DOGGIE SPAYED!!! It often saves their lives, believe it or not. A ton of female dogs get an often deadly uterine infection called Pyometra, if they are not spayed. The symptoms are often not recognizable until it is too late, and if they do recover, they are often not the same dog as they were before because it takes so much out of them. What basically happens is their uterus fills with pus, and goes from being a tiny little thing, to looking like a big sausage. It only happens to female dogs, and is 100% preventable if they get spayed. The dangers of Pyometra vastly overshadow any concerns you may have about spaying, if you ask me. Also, all female dogs gets periods if they don't get spayed. The perfect time to spay them is before their first period. This cuts the chance of mammary (breast, nipple) cancer in dogs down to almost nothing. It's really incredible. Mammary cancer in dogs is actually quite common. The sooner you spay her, the better. Talk to your vet about it, I'm sure he/she will let you know when the best time is to spay your pup. I was VERY worried also, because I didn't want to hurt my precious poochie for no reason.. but trust me, it's best for her. She was getting countless nipple infections, and was on antibiotics twice. Luckily that's all cleared up now too. The periods dogs have are no fun either. My dog, luckily, only stained the bed at night, because her flow was very light. But some dogs have very heavy flows, and it's just a big hassle then. Also, my doggie was 100% fine a couple hours after the spaying surgery, and I picked her up and brought her home. Because your doggie is so small, you should definitely express your concerns about her getting spayed, and ask them how tiny dogs usually do. I have a friend with a 5 lb. Bichon Poo who did marvelously when she was just 3-4 lbs and got spayed. If your dog is in good health, she should be fine. I also know some people whose doggies died from the terrible uterine infection that could have been prevented. It's very serious, and like I said, preventable with spaying. There's lots of information on the internet, and your vet is a good source also. Good luck, and don't be scared! If you have a good vet, and he/ok's it, then she should be just fine. :o)
i personally would wait until she gets to be a healthier weight. these small dogs are sickly and have a tendancy to die young from congenital problems...yorkies have liver shunts and hypoglycemic problems as well as patella luxation etc. if you choose to spay in the first year of life, statistically, you may see less risk in developing mammary tumors. in addition, pyometra (uterine infection) is a risk for an intact female...anesthesia is much safer today than ever before. isoflorane is gen what vets use today. personalities don't change much with females, however, males do lose that aggressive component of their personalities...perhaps we should neuter some men :)ps. you're being a little silly about the blood, chances are with a yorkie, you'll never see any...if she were a lab, I would have a diff opinion.pps. mine do wear diapers sometimes. my yorkie likes to pee on the bath rugs when Im not looking :) she could care less about wearing it.
DON'T BE ABSURD!!!!!!!!



They DON'T remove the dog's ***BRAIN***,you know!!!!! *JUST* the reproductive system!!!!

DUH????



SPAY!!!!!
Leave her alone.
put yourself in the dogs...paws. How would you be afterward?

No comments:

Post a Comment